The government and the law is created to defend rights. One of the most fundamental rights is the right to thought (this includes beliefs and opinions). Should the government defend people's rights to believe that certain discriminations are ok?

Monday, September 19, 2011

A Weekend in the Woods


First of all, thank you so much to everyone who follows me and keeps up with what the shenanigans of 9C. I appreciate the love, support, and prayers greatly. It's always an encouragement to me!


This weekend was the 2011 Fall Retreat for King's Students. It isn't mandatory for anyone to go, but highly recommended mostly for freshmen. Very few upperclassmen go. I was not planning on going because it cost $35, and as a broke college kid, I don't even want to spend that little on something that isn't mandatory. But President Dinesh D'Souza was gracious enough to grant me a scholarship for the trip and I paid nothing.


The Bus Ride: I won't hesitate to tell you that the bus ride to upstate new york was HORRENDOUS! Someone had the bright idea to play a Star Wars film at full volume on all the little tvs in the charter bus. I not only didn't want to see or hear the movie, but because of that, the overhead lights are set to stay off meaning I couldn't study whatsoever. And if you ask my roommates, I'm defined by my ability to overachieve and push myself to my limits. :) So, I attempted to sleep, but that didn't turn out too well.


The Arrival Fri. Night: I stepped out of the crowded bus and a gush of cold air nipped at my cheeks. Oh no, I didn't enjoy that. I. Hate. Cold. So I bundled up in Josh's blanket, grabbed all three of my bags, and booked it to my room. I'm sure I was a sight to see as I frantically set the heater high and buried myself under all the provided sheet and blanket I brought. I spent the next few hours studying and chatting with my roommates (current house scholar, Gabbi, and former house president, Katie). Between Gabbi's smelly feet and Katie's overwhelming laugh, we had a fantastic time! I spent the rest of the evening up in the "White Hall" (aka student activities building) and read and played on my computer. Oh, and I have a strict rule of never sleeping before 2 am :) I'm sure that makes you proud, mother. 


Saturday: While I hadn't been looking forward to the trip initially, I was pleasantly surprised by some of the things camp Taconic had to offer. Despite everyone else's high standards for camp food, I loved almost everything they made for us, especially the salad bar. I didn't much enjoy the morning session, I skipped the afternoon session to do homework, and I read through the evening session minus the worship part. The lectures were basically centered around the triune love that God the Father, Jesus, and The Holy Spirit offer us as well as ways to balance everything in college while fulfilling the King's mission. 
My favorite part of the evening was the bonfire! It made me terribly reminiscent of times at the Crews' house where we would make a fire in the pit, talk, pray, worship, goof off, and make memories that I cherish to this day. But it was wonderful to remember those things and make some new memories. Kacey and I stood on a picnic bench to the side after s'more-making and joined in all the ridiculous group singing. The house of Churchill boys started the night by singing "My Girl" to the house of Barton (that's us, and we're they're sister house). We refer to our relationship as "Barchill." Then we spent the next hour or so just singing everything from Jason Mraz and Taylor Swift to old church hymns and worship songs. 


Sunday and the trip home: I didn't do much of anything exciting on Sunday. We had two meals at the camp and just did homework until the bus left. On the bus I engaged my seat-mate in conversations about what highschool was like, what I'm doing in NYC, and various other philosophical topics. 



Now that I'm home, things are pretty much back to normal! Just plugging along and working hard. Thank you for all your prayers and references about the Nanny job! I will start next week and work 5 days a week early in the morning. Unfortunately, I have to work through most of my breaks, but this is an answer to prayer for my loan money to be payed off. Just keep praying that I will keep the job and that hopefully more scholarship money will come in so that this job can be spending money in the future! 

No comments:

Post a Comment