The government and the law is created to defend rights. One of the most fundamental rights is the right to thought (this includes beliefs and opinions). Should the government defend people's rights to believe that certain discriminations are ok?

Saturday, August 11, 2012



You may notice above that it looks like there are selections of voting options, but no question! Well, Blogger is having some issues with it's gadget feature, but that's not what matters to you. 

I'm calling on everyone to PLEASE vote above on the following question:
The government and laws were created with the intent of providing and protecting certain rights. One of the most basic rights is the right to thought--which includes opinions and beliefs. So, should the government provide laws defending someone's opinion to be prejudiced and discriminate? For the sake of argument, assume that the discrimination is not allowed to be violent or abusive.

I would also cherish your comments at the bottom of this post. After my survey is over, I may explain why this is such an important question to me. I've literally lost sleep over thinking about what the government's role is in allowing the liberty of thought but also respecting and providing for basic human rights. I'm wrestling to define this for myself, but I want to see where you, my beloved followers, stand on this issue. 

Thank you, and you shall hear from me soon on this :) Spread the word for other people to vote on this, please! 

Hope

1 comment:

  1. So, this is such a complex question. I can't even hope to answer it here. But for me the bottom-line is the role of government in bringing justice to the society. And, I don't think they can do that in conscience or speech. Violence - yes. Speech? to a certain extent (libel for instance). Speech that promotes discrimination? I don't think so, since that is from the conscience, not speech to used to ruin a reputation like libel.

    But I could see where coming from a view of what is just, would say that speech that promotes discrimination does harm the discriminated people , not just promote ideas. So, maybe?

    I think back to the civil rights era (which is slightly different than the issues we face today, I know). The government made sure certain functions of society were not excluded from minorities - housing, work, food, transportation, etc. But I'm sure the rights of the KKK, racist churches, or other elements of speech/assembly/press were protected.

    So, in my mind, that was the proper way of bringing justice - not allow actual discrimination, but protect the right to promote discrimination.

    Does that help?

    ReplyDelete